CINCINNATI — The Phillies are serious about their alternate choices within the outfield if Brandon Marsh needs to be positioned on the 10-day injured checklist.
“We are a bit thin,” Phillies president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski acknowledged Wednesday morning at Mountainous American Ball Park. “We can ogle at some things internally, but it is likely you’ll presumably also additionally ogle at things externally. We supreme got hit all at one time on this.”
Marsh injured his left knee in Tuesday evening’s victory over the Reds. He tried to originate a leaping purchase on the wall, landed awkwardly and bent his left knee. He limped off the arena and perceived to be in correct spirits later on, but Marsh had an MRI exam to discover the severity of the injury. One doctor idea it might presumably beget to be a bone bruise, however the Phillies acknowledged Wednesday morning they wanted the exam to be reviewed by crew scientific doctors.
Here is a ogle on the Phillies’ outfield direct:
• Kyle Schwarber has no longer started since closing Thursday due to a gradual rigidity in his correct calf. The Phillies acknowledged he might presumably return to the lineup Friday in opposition to the Mets at Electorate Bank Park, but as a DH. It is miles unclear when Schwarber will play left arena again.
• Triple-A Lehigh Valley outfielder Símon Muzziotti injured his patellar tendon over the weekend. He’s no longer going to play again this season. Muzziotti used to be subsequent in line to come reduction up, Dombrowski acknowledged.
• Bryce Harper might presumably rejoin the crew around Sept. 1, but he’s going to only DH upon his return. He has a traipse within the UCL in his correct elbow. The Phillies nowadays shut down his throwing program.
• Triple-A Lehigh Valley utility gamers Yairo Muñoz and Johan Camargo and Double-A Finding out outfielder Jhailyn Ortiz are the single final gamers on the 40-man roster who can play the outfield.
• An addition to the 40-man roster is doable. Double-A Finding out outfielder Johan Rojas is the group’s No. 5 prospect, but Dombrowski pointed out that he hits correct-handed savor outfielder Matt Vierling.
• The Phillies earlier this month misplaced two outfielders. They traded Mickey Moniak to the Angels earlier for Noah Syndergaard and released Odúbel Herrera after they got Marsh. Herrera stays unsigned.
Infielder Sever Maton used to be in left arena on Wednesday. He performed left Tuesday after Marsh departed the game. It used to be the first time Maton performed outfield within the gargantuan leagues. He performed only 7 1/3 innings within the outfield within the Minors.
Maton performed successfully Tuesday. He made a diving purchase and a worthwhile purchase within the corner.
“He looked savor Ed Delahanty accessible,” Phillies period in-between manager Engage Thomson acknowledged.
If the Phillies desire a fourth or fifth outfielder on Wednesday, infielder Edmundo Sosa and backup catcher Garrett Stubbs can play.
The Phillies might presumably ogle exterior the group for aid, if they if truth be told feel savor Marsh will traipse over an extended length of time.
“Truly while you accumulate to the level where you’re scrambling, which we’d be if we lose Marsh – and Schwarber and Muzziotti within just a few days – you detect all alternate choices, which is what we’re doing supreme in case,” Dombrowski acknowledged. “I’m nonetheless hopeful that he can also fair no longer must traipse on the IL, but we’ll supreme wait and look.”