SEATTLE — The Mariners were on the cusp, had their probabilities and set up the Astros on edge on Sunday. But at every monumental flip, the backside of the present awaited and, indirectly, couldn’t advance thru in a stressful, 2-1 loss that ended with Luis Torrens grounding true into a game-ending double play with the bases loaded and the 28,986 on hand roaring in anticipation.
That 2d used to be section of the Mariners stranding seven on the bases and going 1-for-6 with runners in scoring space. Seattle moreover didn’t have a hit except the sixth inning, evoking some of its all-too-acquainted offensive woes true thru the last month, but there were peaceable conditions the set apart a step forward regarded imminent. But at every, Houston — which moreover struggled with bustle manufacturing, as it did all weekend — shut the door.
The Mariners indubitably felt the affect of Kyle Lewis now now not being on hand to pinch-hit after being scratched from the lineup early Sunday, following a conferral with crew athletic trainers and manager Scott Servais, who said that the membership committed to giving Lewis a stout day of relaxation to pair with Monday’s off-day following four straight days of taking half in after being activated from the injured checklist.
“Kyle correct wasn’t on hand at present time,” Servais said postgame. “So, you would possibly perhaps perhaps have this stuff into consideration. And we knew once we did add him to the roster, there were going to be days he used to be going to be down. You’d esteem to tear him in there at a key 2d, but you’ve bought to end correct to what we determined when he got right here support, so that’s what we did.”
Lewis made his presence felt with homers in every of the vital two games of the series whereas batting in the No. 7 space, but with Sunday being a day game after a evening game and a nasty-nation flight straight away after, the membership opted to sit down him.
The lack of Lewis used to be equally felt, in particular after the backside three spots in Seattle’s present — Mike Ford, Torrens and Taylor Trammell — went a mixed 1-for-9. Torrens’ single to lead off the sixth inning broke up a no-hitter by Houston’s Luis Garcia, and he did stride on to rating on Ty France’s game-tying single. But that’s all of the Mariners would perhaps also muster on a day the set apart Marco Gonzales threw 7 1/3 gleaming innings and used to be charged correct two runs.
Listed below are several moments the set apart the game bought away:
• After France scored Torrens, he used to be on 2d contaminated with Julio Rodríguez at the plate and two outs, but Alex Bregman made a stabbing clutch on a would-be line drive that used to be headed down the left-field line and would’ve scored France.
• The Mariners chased Garcia by inserting runners on first and 2d and not using a outs in the seventh, opting for Adam Frazier to pass them over with a sacrifice bunt, then Ford and Torrens every struck out swinging to quit the imaginable rally. Making matters a little more anxious used to be that the sequence got right here against reliever Rafael Montero, who Seattle designated for assignment closing July then traded to Houston, the set apart he’s turn into elite.
• Trammell led off the eighth with a known as strikeout, then Jesse Winker flied out to the warning be conscious, but France reached after being hit by a pitch to sing up Rodríguez, all over again. However the rookie slugger swung over a gnarly splitter from Héctor Neris in a 2-2 rely for the punchout to full the inning.
• Paul Sewald relieved Gonzales with Martín Maldonado on 2d contaminated and one out, fell at the support of early in walks to Michael Brantley and Alex Bregman and gave up a bases-loaded single to Yordan Alvarez for the game-winning hit — Houston’s perfect in the series with runners in scoring space.
• Ford walked against All-Massive title nearer Ryan Pressly to load the bases sooner than Torrens hit in the 5-4-3 dagger.
• Gonzales set up them in space to grab with arguably his easiest originate of the twelve months, no topic a 2d-inning mistake pitch to crimson-hot rookie Jeremy Peña, which represented the estimable runs he surrendered whereas he used to be actively on the mound.
“I’m correct attempting to present my crew a probability to grab,” Gonzales said. “That’s the mission every single day, preserve us in it. The different starter, man, Garcia used to be throwing the heck out [of] the ball. He if truth be told used to be. And I was correct attempting to check him and preserve us in it.”
The Mariners were attempting for his or her first sweep of the Astros of any amount of games since they obtained four in Houston from Aug. 9-12, 2018.
“I scheme we did quite quite a bit of if truth be told correct things [this weekend], but to sweep a crew esteem that, a if truth be told correct crew, a former membership that is terribly deep, you’ve bought to provide all of the little plays happen in some unspecified time in the future of the path of three games,” Servais said. “We did the vital two nights. … I possess correct about us persevering with to get better. It wasn’t headed in that path right here for a whereas, so quite quite a bit of correct signs for this weekend.”